Delivering great Category Management
The Category Management Team
A pivotal area of a business is the Category Management Team.
Growing the pie, not growing share, doing the right thing and doing it well, preferably within the context of a forward-looking category vision, is what category management is about.
At this point, we should also talk about the need to have an omnichannel view. It is not enough to only deliver category management in bricks and mortar stores.
So what is needed for great Category Management?
- Category Vision detailing category strategies (driven by consumer and shopper insights) and category tactics by channel
- Point of Purchase Vision which identifies optimum layout, segment adjacencies and core range
- Clear category segmentation validate by both shoppers and consumers
- Actionable insights driven by shopper research to eg give clarity on the triggers and barriers to purchase
- Growth (or decline ) forecasts by segment, to allow you to align space to future sales
- Range review capability, which can be in its simplest form spreadsheet-based or facilitated by software
- Market data to understand category performance
- Market data to understand customer performance
- Customer strategies so a customer-centric solution can be created in-line with their direction of travel
- Supporting processes and practices to deliver great cat man.
How Big River Solutions can help
Big River Solutions has extensive expertise delivering category management projects. We also have extensive experience creating the supporting processes and practices for category management. Our approach is pragmatic and practical, taking a holistic view of the needs of the organisation, the resources available and the desired future state of the organisation. Through our Academy, we can support your team delivering tailored training solutions or open workshops.
- Create Category Visions
- Create action orientated category plans/category strategies
- Create Point of Purchase Vision, strategies and tactics
- Assess current capabilities and design a roadmap for future improvement
- Create a channel based Look of Success
- Train category based selling skills
- Train or creating compelling retailer selling stories
- Train Category Development skills – from basic to practitioner
- Design your approach to Category Development, embed it and make it live
- Support “insights creation” via shopper research/ongoing analytics
- Train Insight Creation
- Up-skill you team through coaching, mentoring or onsite support
- Review organisation design and alignment
- Review current insight provision.
- Conduct market reviews
- Conduct range reviews and support with planogram resource
- Assist in annual planning
- Create and embed a category team, recruit and put in place processes and tools
- Embed Category Management in your organisation
- Resource the team (via interim or search).