The Category Development Team
A pivotal area of a business is the Category Development Team.
Growing the pie, not growing share, doing the right thing and doing it well, preferably within the context of a forward-looking category vision, is what category development is about.
At this point, we should also talk about the need to have an omnichannel view. It is not enough to only deliver category development in bricks and mortar stores.
So what is needed for great Category Development?
- Category Vision detailing category strategies (driven by consumer and shopper insights) and category tactics by channel
- Point of Purchase Vision which identifies optimum layout, segment adjacencies, and core range
- Clear category segmentation validate by both shoppers and consumers
- Actionable insights driven by shopper research to eg give clarity on the triggers and barriers to purchase
- Growth (or decline ) forecasts by segment, to allow you to align space to future sales
- Range review capability, which can be in its simplest form spreadsheet-based or facilitated by software
- Market data to understand category performance
- Market data to understand customer performance
- Customer strategies so a customer-centric solution can be created in-line with their direction of travel
- Supporting processes and practices to deliver great cat man.
How Big River Solutions can help
Big River Solutions has extensive expertise in delivering category development projects. We also have extensive experience in creating supporting processes and practices for category development. Our approach is pragmatic and practical, taking a holistic view of the needs of the organisation, the resources available and the desired future state of the organisation. Through our Academy, we can support your team delivering tailored training solutions or open workshops.