What is it?
A Category Vision describes
- How the category will grow in value & volume in the future based on changing/growing consumption and purchase habits. It creates a “Strategic Agenda for Growth”
- What is to be done to capture the value potential over a 3 year period by key customer or environment
- And how a CPG’s portfolio will be used to unlock the headroom for growth.
Size of the Prize
An excellent category vision should have at its heart an understanding of the potential size of the prize, with strategies and tactics to deliver this.
It is a statement of our desired future state, incorporating learnings from the past and predictions of the trends that are approaching that will affect the category.
It identifies and quantifies the strategic category growth drivers for future category growth.
The vision includes tactics for the point of purchase and shopper marketing.
The vision ensures the shopper, customer and supplier are aligned to maximise category growth and sales opportunities and is underpinned by consumer and shopper research which delivers valuable insight for the customer and CPG.
The existence of a vision underlines our role as thought leaders both internally and with trade partners, and gives us “Permission to Play”.
The category vision has to inspire whilst being realistic. The objective is to encourage the shopper to buy more, to increase their frequency of purchase or to get more shoppers to buy the category.
We set out to create a clear understanding of the category now and then, to combine our initial findings with a strong analysis of trends to understand the role the category can have in the future.
A category vision has to deliver for today as well as be relevant for tomorrow. With a window of 3 – 5 years, the plan has to capture a comprehensive range of behaviours to remain pertinent for the 3 – 5-year duration.
It’s a collaborative process
It won’t come as any surprise that creating, activating and delivering a category vision should be a collaborative process between consumers, shoppers, customers and CPG manufacturers.
With over 20 years of experience in category vision development, Big River Solutions are ideally placed to steer all parties through the process.
Our aim is to simplify and drive a complex process through to delivery. We create a vision to challenge what’s been done before.
Why do we need one?
It helps us define a strategic agenda for growth internally and externally with our customers by identifying:
- Where to Play
- How to Win
- What to do.
How Big River Solutions can help
We can develop a Category Vision with you via co-creation workshops including strategies and tactics to deliver the vision at POP/POS.
It sets the foundation for how you activate growth ideas in customers with shoppers.
Good luck and if you need any help our contact details are below.
Who are Big River Solutions?
- We are Big River Solutions a global Category Marketing consultancy based in the UK specialising in driving commercial excellence.
- Our focus is on helping our clients grow through connecting their categories and brands to their target consumers, shoppers and customers. Creating Category’s for Growth is our expertise.
- We help develop rigorous and commercially integrated strategic and tactical growth plans for categories and brands based on knowledge, insight, vision and a deep understanding of market drivers.
- We help convert plans into action through innovation and engagement that drives positive behaviour changes in target consumers, shoppers and customers and delivers expected results.
- We help develop and embed commercial capabilities required to gain and sustain competitive advantage through organisation and people.
How can we find out more?
- Follow Big River Solutions on LinkedIn for content that you will find to be up to date, relevant to you and supply actionable thoughts.
- Head to our website for details of our proposition, team, customer partners etc.
- Take a health check. In answering the survey below you will receive an informed appraisal of your category marketing capability.
- Subscribe to our mailing list